Wednesday 13 November 2013

10 Things that Americans do different

Okay. So American life is a lot different than life back home. In fact, majorly different. 

The food is different, the people are different, the weather is different. Everything is different. Here is a list of everything that I find different in America.

1. The Food;

Back home in Northern Ireland, we enjoy a good Irish Fry Up; potato bread, soda bread, sausages, bacon, eggs, Heinz baked beans & if you're feeling really adventurous, maybe a fried pancake as well. In America, the bacon is awful and they have wieners in place of sausages. Totally dissatisfying! 

Back home we also have a Sunday Roast Dinner; potatoes, roast beef, gravy, vegetables and maybe one or two Yorkshire puddings! Over here in the US, our Sunday dinner is a Wendy's or a Dominos. 

We also sell amazing sweets back in Northern Ireland, as well as chocolate and crisps! (Or potato chips if you are American). American stores do not sell multi-packs of crisps; and the one thing I would love to have in my cupboard is a multi-pack of 30 bags of Tayto! (By the way, that was a major hint to anyone who is thinking of sending any surprise packages to America anytime soon).

2. The Weather;

So back in Northern Ireland, a nice day would be classed as anything over 15 degrees. Anything over 20 degrees and that justifies boys walking around shirtless, and girls getting their most amazing summer dresses on.

In America, anything less than 75 degrees Fahrenheit, then that justifies wearing a hoodie and a pair of sweats. Bear in mind also that 75 degrees Fahrenheit is almost 24 degrees Celsius. And that is quite cold!

3. The People;

American people are generally lovely; but their mannerisms and personalities are completely different to those I am regularly used to. 

For example, a lot of Americans aren't very good when it comes to interacting with someone from another country. I regularly get asked 'Where in England are you from'? and 'Is that really your accent'?

I have also almost lost count at the number of times I have been asked to 'say hello to me in your native language'. 'Um, hello'?

Not to mention the famous question that I get asked 17 million times a day; 'Oh my gosh, how do you pronounce your name'?

4. Hygiene Products;

When I arrived in the US, I had to go to Walmart on my first night to buy some essentials because the airport had lost my luggage, I was extremely surprised to see that Americans do not use spray deodorant. WHAT??

As well as this; I find it almost impossible to find nice baby wipes! They do not exist over here - so if you ever plan on living in America, bring a lifetime supply of baby wipes and spray deodorant!

5. Television;

American television; Keeping up with the Kardashians, Ridiculousness, Friends - there are so many amazing television series. 

I love seeing the opening credits of friends and singing the theme tune, 'Well it hasn't been your day, week, your month, or even your year, do do do do do'. BOOM! Advertisement.

Why are there so many adverts on American television? I flick through the channels and its advert after advert after advert. Noooooo! Why can't I just watch an episode of friends without seeing so many adverts!

6. Money;

In the UK, we have 7 types of coins - 1p, 2p, 10p, 20p, 50p a £1 and a £2 coin. In America we have 4 types of coins - pennies, nickels, dimes and quarters. 

The most annoying thing about American money though, has to be the one dollar bill. Your purse could be bursting, and you think you have lots of money - when in reality, you really only have $17 in one dollar bills. Epic fail. 

7. Sports;

In life, I love nothing better than sitting down in front of the TV and watching some Football! (Soccer for all of you knowledgeable American Sports fans). 

I really miss watching Manchester United play, and the time difference between here and the UK, it is difficult to keep up to date. So I am stuck with American Football. And it's not even real Football.

8. Tipping and Sales Tax;

It is not only common courtesy to tip in America, but it is expected - and most people tip at least 18% - 20%. Add on a little bit of sales tax as well - and the $19.99 Steak that you have just ordered might now just cost you at least $25. That cocktail that costs $6 because it is 'Happy Hour', might actually cost you $8.50 now.

Tipping is not just exclusive to restaurants or bars either; you are even expected to tip your Dominos delivery driver, and your hairdresser too! 

Don't forget the sales tax too - it can spring a little surprise when you head to the checkout! Always have a little extra money with you in case of emergency, and to avoid the embarrassment when your card is declined at the till! (Yes, that has happened me).

9. The legal drinking age;

One of the most annoying aspects of living in America - the legal drinking age. In the UK, the drinking age is 18; in America it is 21. 

Being 20 years of age in America is absolutely awful! You can't go into an off licence and get a few bottles of beer because you will be ID'd. You can't have a nice cocktail at a restaurant with your friends because you will get ID'd. 

Roll on January when I turn 21 - there will be major celebrations!

10. Driving

When I arrived in America, my good friend Eddie picked me up from the airport. I tried to get in to the left hand side of the car, and not realising that it was actually the driver's seat and not the passenger seat. The American road system is so unusual compared to home; there are so many main roads, not a lot of roundabouts, and you don't have to have a number plate on the front of your car. So weird!


So, those are the ten things that I find different about living in America compared to living at home in Northern Ireland. Let me know if you think I have missed anything out! Thanks again for reading! Mairéad.

No comments:

Post a Comment