Thursday 14 November 2013

It's like 'Parade', but with an 'M'!

As a cultural representative, I represent Northern Ireland in the UK Pavilion in Epcot.

However, a lot of guests are unaware that the UK Pavilion actually represents four countries; England, Scotland, Wales & Northern Ireland; and many think of it as the 'English Pavilion'.

This may be the reason for guests becoming slightly confused when they hear my rich Northern Ireland accent (Not as bad as Cora's though) :)

Which brings me to the main part of this blog post - the top ten things people say to me whilst working in the UK Pavilion.

1. 'Where in England are you from'?
2. 'Oh my god you're Irish'?
3. 'Lurgan, is that near London'?
4. 'Are you a leprechaun'?
5. 'Is that really your accent'?
6. 'Why are you working in the UK pavilion if you are Irish'?
7. 'I'm 1/16th Irish - my name is Murphy',
8. 'I love your freckles',
9. 'Do you know my cousin John Finnegan from Dublin'?


However, the question I get asked the most at work;

'How do you pronounce your name'?

Well...

It's like 'Parade', but with an 'M'.

No comments:

Post a Comment